maandag 9 januari 2012

DnD Next: A new edition of Dungeons and Dragons

The word is out, Wizards are working on a new edition of Dungeons and Dragons. After Basic Dungeons and Dragons, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 2nd edition, 3rd edition, 3.5 and 4th edition, the stage is now for DnD Next. Below are some of my favorite comments on the news (will add new ones when i find new favorites): Personally, I'm excited to see where this goes. I'm a big fan of 3rd edition (and Pathfinder for that matter), and never really cared for 4th edition. I'm excited to see where the player input is going to take us. I'd love to see at least the following points:
    to see a rule set that is very basic and sparse, and that is expanded with extra, optional rules. This would set back the trend of overregulating in pathfinder and 4E, and still satosfy groups and DMs who like to play with a large body of rules.
  • Respect for the content of previous editions.I understand that support for settings as Al Quadim and Ravenloft is not commercially viable, but I would like to be able to integrate the stuff into my campaigns with not too much effort.
  • I'm a big believer in the OGL. I think that the major revival of RPGs in the last 10 years is thanks to this mechanism. I hope Wizards bring it back
  • I hope they let go of the tight integration with a battle map. I don't like playing with miniatures too much, and to my taste this gets too much emphasis in 4E
I like the following quote from the original wizards article:
Our mission is to ensure that D&D enters its next 40 years as a vibrant, growing, and exciting game.
A great positive thing about todays news is the amount of commitment that Wizards shows to the future survival of Dungeons and Dragons. If you want to join the discussion, Twitter is on fire at the moment. Look for the hash-tag #dndnext. And look at the #5Erumors hashtag for the more humourous contributions UPDATE: Enworld is collecting al the information about the new edition on a single page

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten